Skip to main content

Author

Uncertainty Clouds Iran–US Islamabad Talks

Uncertainty Clouds Iran–US Talks in Islamabad Despite Pakistan’s Assurances

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani officials have expressed certainty about holding second round of Iran-US talks in Islamabad on Monday, despite conflicting signals emerging from Iran, whose Foreign Ministry spokesman have told media in Tehran that their government has not yet taken a decision about talks.

Pakistani officials told media that Field Marshal Asim Munir is in contact with both the Iranian and US officials to remove any hiccups in the holding of talks as scheduled. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has also held telephonic conversation with Iranian President after signals emerged from Tehran that its government might be reluctant to participate in Islamabad talks following US Navy act of targeting Iranian Merchant Ship.

“We are certain that both Iranian and US officials will participate in the second round of talks in Islamabad” said a Pakistani official.

Uncertainty still prevails about the possibility of resumption of US-Iran talks in Islamabad after Iranian officials said that they have yet to decide whether their delegation would participate in Islamabad talks following US Navy targeted an Iranian Merchant ship in Gulf of Oman.

US delegation, according to US President, is enroute to Islamabad to participate in the second round of talks

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump told The New York Post that US Vice President JD Vance and an American delegation were en route to Pakistan and expected to land within hours for the peace talks with Iran.He added that he was willing to meet with senior Iranian leaders if a breakthrough is reached.

Earlier in the day, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran had yet to decide on whether to attend the next round of talks with the US.

Iran’s parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said that Tehran was continuing negotiations with the US but remains ready to take “necessary measures” amid fears of renewed escalation.

Iran’s leaders were reiterating that stance even hours before the Iranian delegation landed in Pakistan, as a last-minute hurdle over Israeli strikes in Lebanon was eased.

The possibility of talks was cast in doubt after Trump said the US Navy had targeted an Iranian ship attempting to evade its blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, although both sides offered differing accounts of the incident.

Iran again closed the strait on Saturday, saying it would not reopen the maritime trade route until the US ended its blockade of Iranian ports.
Addressing a weekly press briefing in Tehran on Monday, Baqaei said, “As of now, while I am at your service, we have no plans for the next round of negotiation, and no decision has been made in this regard”.